Sunday, July 18, 2010

Eight Year Quiltiversary! - December's Quilt Guild Article

Musings on the start of my quilting addiction...

This month marks my 8 year quiltiversary (the anniversary of my first quilt).  My niece’s 3rd birthday was coming up and I decided to get her a doll bed.  I found an unfinished one at a craft store and painted it.  She needed bedding, so I made it a little pillow and mattress.  I crocheted a small afghan.  Something didn’t seem quite right though.  I decided that the little bed was not complete without a patchwork quilt.  I’d never used a rotary cutter, sewn tiny squares together or actually quilted anything before, but I didn’t let that stop me. First, I checked out some books on quilting from the library.  It seemed simple enough.  I decided what I wanted to make and headed out to the fabric store.  That’s not a place that I’d been in often since my childhood when my mom would drag my sister and me there to buy some plaid double-knit atrocity that would later become matching bell-bottoms (she made us go out in public in them.  We’ve since burnt the pictures).  I spent an hour or so trying to find four or five fabrics that I thought had a perfect little girl quilt feel to them.  I took them home, cut them up and sewed them together.  Most of the seams matched.  One was about a quarter of an inch off.  I decided it was ok & moved to quilting.  I did a stitch in the ditch without a walking foot and then finally managed some little free-motion hearts.  I had no clue how to even set up my machine for free-motion quilting.  I was thrilled to have it done and my niece loved the set (again, she was 3).  I vowed never to quilt again.  Six months later I was in a machine quilting class.  Shortly after, we moved to Crawfordsville and I joined the quilt guild.

I’m so grateful for all of the advice and assistance I’ve received from everyone since joining.  I can match seams now and hold my own quilting.  We are very lucky to have such an amazing group of talented and helpful quilters here!

No comments: